These are a curated set of books I've recommended privately to my friends. They are outstanding.
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- This is a book I carry with me everywhere I go. It has the best wisdom-to-words ratio of any book I've read.
- Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
- Nerd book to blow your mind if you can page through 200 pages of deep math.
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Flow, the state of mind where time flies and you're not aware of yourself. This book explores its nature and how to trigger it. Whenever I feel stuck, I seek flow states to help me escape the stuckness (currently: kitesurfing)
- The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin
- Practical advice on how to go from 90% to 99%. Spoiler: What got you here won't get you there.
- High Output Management by Andy Grove
- THE book on management. A must read if you have direct reports.
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Open by Andre Agassi
- The only sports autobiography that's worth reading in my opinion.
- La Casa de los Espíritus by Isabel Allende
- What an amazing book. It's so raw, so inspiring, so gut wrenching. Allende has the ability to inhabit the mind of every character in the story and portray their point of view so vividly, that it increases your capacity to empathize with the "other". This is Latin America with its irreconcilable points of view, none of them wrong but nonetheless in perpetual conflict with each other.
Follow me on Goodreads to keep up with my reading: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/89587135-max-holzheu